A list of reasons why Amazon cannot be trusted to secure messages:
- AWS’ ties to the US government.
- Amazon is a well-known censor of books/documentaries with which it disagrees. Keep in mind that Amazon sells Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto, two books whose authors’ ideas led to the slaughter of over 100 million people in the 20th century.
- AWS’ deplatforming of Parler, despite other platforms also being used to plan Jan 6.
Most people don’t realise the philosophical reasons why they use secure messaging apps:
- Freedom of conscience. The right to believe in unpopular views without intervention.
- Freedom of speech. The right to speak those views without censorship.
- Freedom of association. The right to associate (i.e., talk) to anyone without the government knowing or preventing the association.
Unfortunately AWS — and its parent company Amazon — do not have a good record upholding the philosophical traditions required for a secure messaging app. Likewise, no other Big Tech company has a good record with secure messaging, as my website shows.